Monday, September 21, 2009

Andy Goldsworthy's Creativity on the Backburner


Many thanks to my wonderful friend who connected the dots for me this week by sending me a link to Andy Goldsworthy's Art.  I had seen some of his books previous and admired his beautifully inspired natural installations but never paused long enough to investigate. Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure one of his books nudged the idea for my large scale sand mandala's into reality. I just love the idea of creating something with what nature provides. Its free (!) and remains out there for the world to enjoy if they come across it.

 As part of my investigation, I came across a video clip of Andy describing how working on his projects helps him reconnect with himself and awakens a sense of amazement.



Listening to the birds in this clip reminds me why I love spending time in the woods and how important and creative thoughts are able to simmer on the backburner while a person is engaged in this manner. Remembering those feelings leads me to conclude that part of why I'm fascinated by Andy's art has got to somehow be connected with what Richard Louv is witnessing is his book, Last Child in the Woods.

I'd love to hear from any, and everyone of you as to your own experiences of nature and your thoughts on its connection with creativity and connectivity. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. On one side agree wildly, other side-- reservations. Late summer went to a beautiful place i know in mountains (three guesses where), and in spot on river someone had "created" many piles of balanced rocks. Clearly a lot of effort and assume to them it was pleasing-- but to me-- the place was nothing short of sacred before and these things were a kitschy intrusion. But if a little bit of subtlety is remembered, well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think subtlety and, perhaps, also taking down or away what you build when it is of a somewhat permanent nature are in order.

    ReplyDelete