Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Iktumi's Invitations to Self Deception

1. If only I were rich,   then I would be happy.
2.If only I were famous, then I would be happy. 
3. If only I could find the right person to marry,   then I would be happy.
4. If only I had more friends, then I would be happy.
5. If only I were more attractive, then I would be happy.
6. If only I weren't physically handicapped in any way, then I would be happy. 
7. If only someone close to me hadn't died, then I could be happy.
8. If only the world were a better place, then I would be happy


These 'invitations' come from Iktumi, the trickster or liar figure of the Lakota tradition. (Mills, Billy. Wokini.) As I was looking into this character I came  across other writing on the web that brought up Pandora and the Adam and Eve Apple myth as a way to explain unhappiness (evil) in the the world, -what were the sources of unhappiness and what is to blame for its appearance at large. Reflections aside, I like the way these 'invitations' are super straight forward and echo the way that deceptive thoughts sometimes cross my mind... now just to remember to refuse these tricky little ditties.

No comments:

Post a Comment